Thursday, July 10, 2008

Gramm Refuses to Apologize - I'm Conflicted

I'm conflicted as to how to respond to Phil Gramm's refusing to back away from his remarks on the US being a nation of whiners.

My initial reaction is: "You go girl." People are really whiny. The Iraq War is far less popular than the Vietnam War ever was, which makes no sense to me. The economy hasn't even officially entered recession and you've got Mort Zuckerman - hardly a liberal - saying this is an economic downturn to rival the Great Depression. It's perplexing, and thank you Phil Gramm for trying to bring the country back to reality.

On the other hand, he seems to have forgotten that there is a campaign going on. McCain needs to "feel people's pain", because those whiners out there in the country get to vote. It was bad politics on Gramm's part, very bad politics. I guess maybe you can make a case that by having McCain denounce Gramm - whom he had hitherto touted as one of the people he listened to about economic matters - makes McCain look good for "getting it". But ultimately I think this was net negative for the McCain campaign.

No comments: